Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Role Models and running....two very different things

I was driving to the state park after work today thinking about what I wanted to write my blog about tonight. Nothing really came to mind except one thing that was discussed a little at my staff meeting this afternoon. That was role models. A group was presenting about teaching kids in poverty and they mentioned that students living in poverty need role models. I find that funny because I think ALL kids need role models, but I get it, students living in poverty might not have the best role models at home, so we as teachers need to be that for them. It got me thinking though. Thinking about who my role model is. I mentioned to my student teacher that I have several role models for different parts of my life.

Mom and Dad

Two of the best people I know. Their marriage has lasted the test of time. January 2 was their 41st wedding anniversary. Their marriage is a true example of how two people in love should respect and love one another. They raised four FANTASTIC semi-normal people. when I finally find that guy for me, I want my relationship like my parents.

Dot Richardson
Many of you may not know who this person is, Dr. Dot is unmistakable. When I was 15, and heard that softball was going to be an Olympic sport, I was introduced to Dot Richardson, as well as Lisa Fernandez. I realized at this point that softball was something I could use to get ahead. It was something I could use to get a college scholarship. As many of you know, it is what I did. Without Dot and the other members of the 1996 Olympic team, I don't know if I would have had the fire to to be so competitive in the sport.

Kevin Seidel and Stacy Salz
These two people are very important to who I am at this point in my life. Mr. Seidel was my junior English teacher and inspired me to want to be a high school English teacher. Stacy Salz was a teacher I had when I was in high school in Colorado. She showed me compassion and love when I felt like no one in the school was there for me. I try to be as compassionate as she was to me everyday when dealing with my students.

I guess that's it.... there have been many people in my life that have helped make me who I am, but these are the ones that have helped shaped me the most.

In other news.....
I ran two miles today at the state park. I hate running, but I love tolerate running at the state park. It is so beautiful there. I have decided that running on a treadmill blows is not for me. I like the idea of actually running somewhere. Now, all of my coaches from college are probably laughing hysterically at even the thought of this... I mean, I was ALWAYS the last one in from the runs... ALWAYS way behind everyone else. I always felt like it was punishment, but running next to the river is amazing. I hate that I get home so late from school and that it is almost dark. The state park is just a great place. I can't wait until the spring to go hiking and to buy a bike and ride the trails.

=)

1 comment:

  1. I think that you have wonderful parents. Two, such wonderful people. That raised four great kids. And many things that everyone goes through in life and challenges that people have to deal with. Within themselves and as a couple, like everyone in the world does. I have never seen one couple still so much in love with one another. Still have so much respect for one another. When I was with you visiting them in Maine. Seeing two people been married so many years, and still holding hands as they walk together and kissing as if they were newlyweds. It's a wishful feeling. Hoping one day I can be just as lucky as them, to have a person in my life like that. It's amazing and makes me hopeful@! :)

    ReplyDelete